Tuesday, October 26, 2010

APPLE-ing WEEK

Oct is national apple month.  Do you have an apple recipe you'd like to share???  Use MR. Linky or leave a comment.

It's time to post something here...  I've been AWAL for some time.  Life just seems to be marching on without me at times, I think.  So what have I been up too here lately.  Well I'll show you.....


Not just one bag of apples... but 6. Yep that's right.  I've been canning apples...  It all started two Saturdays ago with the....


Picking process. Yep, I hand picked about 65 lbsl of apples.  However, mine were FREE.  That's the way to go.  I guess I knew the right person.

Then last week I spent the week with my apples....


Canning and freezing them and of course making some yummy surprises for my family....



Here are some of the yummy things I made...


   Grandma's Apple Cake
I found the recipe from Tina @ Moms Crazy Cooking
it was oh so yummy and moist.  the picture looked moist, but after getting the recipe put together I had my doubts, but something must have happened in the baking process.  It was very moist.  My family loved it.  


yep, dessert apple pizza.  this was a made up recipe in my own head.  Turned out pretty good.  
Maybe sometime I'll post the recipe.

apple gram cracker pudding.  Recipe for another time... also.


I think they liked my apple pie filling that I made. And that is the recipe that I'm going to share this week. I canned 12 quarts of this pie filling plus used extra filling to make one pie. So 13 quarts of pie filling was made last week.

This recipe was taken from 1989 edition of the big fat red juicy Apple Cook Book by Judith Ann Bosley



Homemade Canned Apple Pie Filling

ingredients:
1 grocery sackful of apples (Ida Read is the author's preference), peeled, cored and sliced for pie
(do all the peeling at time)

 filling ingredients: (makes enough for about 6-7 quarts of pie filling.  One quart of pie filling fills a nine inch pie shell nicely)
10 cups water
5 cups white sugar
1 cup cornstarch
5 teaspoons cinnamon
2 Tablespoons lemon juice


Wash and scaled quart jars (or let your dishwasher do it for you).

 

Fill jars full of apple slices.




In large, heavy duty saucepan, Combine filling ingredients and bring to a boil.







Pour syrup to tops of jars.  This is somewhat tricky since the syrup is very thick.  I used a wooden spoon handle to help with this process.  As the syrup needs to fill every space that the apples don't.  I burped it (if you do canning I'm sure you know what I mean by that) often.




Seal jars and process for 20 minutes in a hot water bath.


Now you have it.  It really is pretty easy.  And very yummy pie filling.



Oct is national apple month.  Do you have an apple recipe you'd like to share???  Use MR. Linky or leave a comment. 



This was posted at ~

and








bc line bar with bear

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for adding a Scrap of your Life.