Friday, September 16, 2011

Progress is being made!

Handmade by Heidi


Tonight was the Sept. Friday Night Sew-In and progress was made.  It was tiny baby step, but it was progress.  I was handed this jacket....


in church on Sunday with instructions that the owner would like for me to make 5 memory bears out of it.  HUM!  Never heard of such a thing.  So I had to come home and google it...
And found out what it was through VITAS and Hospice Care

Description

Memory Bear volunteers make home-sewn bears with compassion and love, to ease a hurting heart after the death of a VITAS patient. The bears are sewn from the patient's clothing: a favorite pair of jeans, a pullover top, dress, bathrobe, nightgown, etc. A Memory Bear may recall the closeness of a loved one, bring a smile to someone in distress or offer a sense of security to a child who feels alone after the loss of a grandparent, parent or sibling.
The fabric is provided by the family; the pattern, support and stuffing is provided by VITAS and the creativity is provided by the volunteer. Bears can be made in the volunteer's home or at the VITAS office.

Skills

  • Sewing: Volunteers should have a desire to use their talents or hobbies to make a difference in someone's life. Must have sewing tools: sewing machine, needles, etc. Fabric and stuffing are provided. No professional experience necessary but sewing experience is a must. Creativity is a plus.
I didn't really have a pattern so I googled that too. and found this bear pattern

He is suppose to be 8.5 inches when done.  Well I'm going to have to  improvise on this bear some because of parts needed so I hope and pray and trust that he turns out.  I'm winging it as I go on Mr. bear.  Any way here are some pics of the jacket now....
doesn't look like a jacket any more
I had quite the mess.  Feathers all over the place.  Had to vacuum before I could do any more. 
I was able to get all 5 bears cut out tonight

5 Bears coming right up..... 

bouncing apple bar line

1 comment:

  1. I love that idea - I look forward to seeing the bears when you're finished!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for adding a Scrap of your Life.